Wednesday, September 30, 2009

firsts

I have been thinking about starting a blog for a while now and I've found that I have been more productive this past month in terms of my art than I have been in a long time so it was time to start this. My main passion is photography and portraits in particular. I love everything about photographing people. I love that you never get the same thing twice. I love the interaction with the subject. I love the spontaneity and the fast paced action of a shoot. I love that if you want to try something new or get a new idea on the spot that you can run with it and see how it turns out.


The funny thing is that I am a photography major and I am not taking any photo classes this semester. While I don't need a class as motivation to go out and take photos I've found myself working on my idea book more. My idea book is a black notebook with white unlined pages where I put pictures, ideas, and words as inspiration for possible shoots. I think I have had it for a little over 2 years now.

This is one of the first pages I put in my book. I love collages and figuring out how to arrange multiple images together. This was an idea I had of pairing images with captions and placing the captions above the images. The magazine cutout had the three images on the wall and I used that to reinforce the idea of arranging things in a diptych.

The quote at the top is from The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. It reads,

"Desires, memories, fears, passions form labyrinths in which we lose and find and then lose ourselves again."

I decided to include the quote because I thought it was lyrical and flowed just like paired images should be. I read the book two years ago and finished it in one night because I was drawn into the story and the emotions of the characters so much that I couldn't put it down. I refuse to see the movie because the book affected me so much.

I will be posting images that I like, pages from my book, film stills, trailers, and anything else that has inspired me. Enjoy!

Listening to: Nantes by Beirut


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More