Monday, October 19, 2009

Tattoos and Mucha

So I'm looking for tattoo designs for next year when I get my tattoo. My mom and I are planning on each getting a small tattoo on her 50th birthday. I want a small one right behind my ear and as of right now I am thinking about a small design in the art nouveau style. My problem now is that art nouveau is so detailed that Im trying to find something that would work. Luckily I'm not in any rush to get it. Last night I came across this tattoo. Its a full back tattoo in the style of Alphonse Mucha.



Even though I'm not looking for anything near this big I think it is pretty incredible. Mucha was a Czech art nouveau painter and illustrator and is one of my favorite artists. I love the swirls and the patterns characteristic of art nouveau. Some of Mucha's work:




Gustav Klimt was another art nouveau artist that I love. His work is less focused on the illustrative design aspect but his patterns are incredible as is his use of yellow. Both Klimt and Mucha use women as their focus and incorporate women into the design of their art. Their pictures are portraits but in a non conventional sense. Here is some of Klimt's work:






Listening to: Embers by Just Jack



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More