Wednesday, April 13, 2011

YSL Cologne Campaign by Darren Aronofsky


I came across this new cologne ad for Yves Saint Laurent and I was extremely surprised to see that Darren Aronofsky had directed this short. I'm still not quite sure what I think about this film since it seems to be so incredibly superficial. I think the music and light are extremely beautiful and give the short a certain special, exclusive, elite sort of tone, however I'm still struggling to understand this film and if there was more to the action and the concept that I wasn't picking up. I'd like to think that there was more behind the intent for Yves Saint Laurent but it just doesn't seem to be the case. We don't see him actually do anything with the women at the end and maybe he doesn't? It seems to say to me that this man can wear this cologne and get the attention of any woman he desires. He doesn't need to go through with going home with her (or maybe he does and it is just implied in its absence) because it is the chase and validation he wants. He doesn't need anything - it is all about desire and indulgence. It just seems like such a shallow and cliche concept for such a huge fashion house to produce. They have the money, talent, and vision to create something wonderful and new and different and the fact that they played it completely safe (knowing it will appeal to their regular marketing base) is just too bad and disappointing.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More