Sunday, October 25, 2009

Anthony Lane

I was recently going through all of my websites that I had bookmarked and I came across this movie review of the movie Synecdoche, New York by the movie critic Anthony Lane. He is probably my favorite movie reviewer for the simple reason that he always gives me something new to think about or a different way to look at something. I bookmarked his review of this movie before I saw it, knowing that it was on my netflix que and that by bookmarking the review maybe I would get around to watching it sooner.

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty confused after I saw the movie. I loved it and visually it was incredible but there was so much going on. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character plays a theater director and spends 17 years creating the perfect play inside this massive warehouse (For anyone who is familiar with Ithaca think Barton Hall in Cornell but bigger). I thought everything about the movie was stunning from the concept, to the performances to the visuals. The one thing about the movie is that it definitely needs to be thought about. It deserves conversation and someone to talk about it with. Enter Anthony Lane. His review was detailed and in depth and gave me things to think about. There were definitely things I missed the first time around and now re-reading his review makes me want to watch it again.

Anthony Lane writes for The New Yorker and has a great collection of reviews on their website. He also published a book of his movie reviews which was amazing. I would recommend getting it from a library or going to Borders or Barnes and Noble and just reading the reviews of movies that you've seen. I guarantee you will think differently about some of the movies that you've seen.



Anthony Lane's review of Synecdoche New York:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More