Tuesday, January 12, 2010

One Size Fits All and the V Magazine Size Issue


One of the magazines I subscribe to is V Magazine and I just received the size issue. I loved all the shoots with plus size models, they wore the garments beautifully and the photography was exceptional. Overall, I would definitely go online and check out some of the shoots or pick up a copy in borders or wherever else V Magazine is sold locally. What I really hated about the "size issue" is that there needs to be a special issue dedicated to plus size models in order to feature them in these magazines. I most definitely understand the use of tall and thin models in the fashion industry, however it is up to the fashion industry to explore new shoots, and ways of looking at clothes and people and I think it is sad that the only chance that consumers have to see "normal" looking women is when there is a specific issue dedicated to them. I don't mean to imply that we should see plus size models in every shoot in every magazine but I loved what V Magazine did in my favorite shoot in the issue One Size Fits All (photographed by Terry Richardson) and I think it is a shoot that I wouldn't be surprised to see in a "normal size" issue.

I thought the concept was innovative and progressive to feature the same clothes on both an industry standard model and a plus size model. It had a great message and the images were beautiful studio images. In the second image down, I would say that I prefer the way that the plus size model looks. The model Crystal Renn has been the center of a lot of media stories in the past couple months because of her book Hungry which described her battle with Anorexia in the fashion industry and how she overcame the pressure to find herself and become a plus size model. I hope that we see more shoots like this in the future.

Check out the website for V Magazine:

This is the caption for the shoot:
Photography Terry Richardson




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More